Thursday, March 30, 2006

Is it all about the Benjamins?

I have just finished filming my TV debut.

A friend of mine is doing a project for her broadcasting class on student spending habits, and I was a prime candidate for the stereotypical student spending beyond her means. It was funny to talk about it, I'm sure it'll really help with her project, but the truth is that I am spending irresponsibly. My income is officially below the poverty line, even after my student loans. I only work part time because I want to be able to focus on school and still actually have a life, but the fact is that having a life costs money. I spend way too much money on clothes and cover charges and drinks and eating out, not to mention basic living expenses (rent, utilities, groceries, and the necessary luxury of a phone) and I don't work enough to finance all of that. I end up with overdraft fees and late payments and $10,000 in student loan debt when I graduate. But would I be better off if I worked more and indulged less? Would I be happier? How does the stress of always living from paycheck to paycheck weigh up against the memories I'm making, the friendships I'm building, and the fun that I'm having? I try to focus on what's really important in life, and money to me is a means to an end. Happiness is the goal, not wealth. I just worry that happiness will suddenly be intimately intertwined with money when I can't get a mortgage because I fucked up my credit score. As far as my life now is concerned, however, I think this quote sums it up:

"You have four years to be irresponsible here. Relax. Work is for people with jobs. You'll never remember class time, but you'll remember time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So, stay out late. Go out on a Tuesday with your friends when you have a paper due Wednesday. Spend money you don't have. Drink 'til sunrise. The work never ends, but college does..."
-Tom Petty

Because Tom Petty is totally an expert on life.

0 Old Comments: