Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Your Ignorance is Apparent

So I've been casually dating this guy, and he was over the other day and I was watching CNN (as I always am), when he decides it's a good idea to argue with me about politics, knowing that I'm pretty liberal, and he's pretty not. Up until this point, I wasn't holding his conservatism against him--I'll respect his opinions so long as he respects mine. Inevitably the topic turned to the issue of the rebel flag, which is a huge issue at LSU.

I even warned him, "Are you sure you want to talk to me about this?" He plunged ahead. What I repeat here are his exact words:
"I'll admit I have some racist ideals."

I was floored. I had no idea anyone in my generation could be so clueless as to not at least be in denial of their hatred. He seems to be proud of it, apparently oblivious to how completely ignorant he just exposed himself to be. How do you make it this far in life, how do you grow up in America and even get through a few years of college, without picking up that that's NOT OKAY?!? Dude, grow the fuck up and take a look at the world around you. Leave the racism to our parents and grandparents.

I hope he didn't think that was a good way to pick up girls.

0 Old Comments: