Monday, November 27, 2006

my invincible ball of fur is having diarrhea

Harold the Bunny has fallen ill, my friends.

I'm not sure whether I've ever mentioned him here before, just because there's really not much to say about a rabbit unless something's wrong. Now something is definitely wrong, and I'm very worried.

My poor little baby seems to have some kind of gastro-intestinal problem that's causing diarrhea. I called the emergency vet line last night and brought him in today. The poor little guy soiled himself in his travel carrier on the way there. I listened carefully to everything the doctor had to say, struggling to understand every word through his thick Latino accent. They're not really sure what's wrong with him, apparently, but they know that he's sick. So he's staying there for at least tonight and tomorrow night so they can monitor him and run tests. I went in there terrified that this was the end for my furry friend, but those three dreaded words, "putting him down," have yet to be spoken, thank God. I'm just really hoping it's something that can be fixed.

I'm almost as worried about him staying there as I am about the illness. Rabbits are really big on routine, and having a major change like that can really stress them out. I know he must be terrified. I almost called their emergency line tonight just to ask how he was doing, but I figured they probably wouldn't appreciate that. The vet student assigned to his case is supposed to call me in the morning. I wish I could go in just to visit him, but since it's the LSU Vet School and they're huge I'm sure they don't really accommodate that sort of thing.

It's weird to see him so vulnerable, usually he's a total smart ass. He's slightly belligerent and thinks he's stealthy. It hasn't occurred to him that hopping doesn't really equal stealth, but I'll give it to him that he does have some speed. I've spent an embarrassing number of hours chasing him from one end of the couch to the other as he runs back and forth behind it, trying to catch his rebellious little ass.

Poor baby.

0 Old Comments: