Monday, November 20, 2006

home for the holidays

I've been slacking on my posting lately. My how quickly a week can fly by.

In approximately 18 hours, my 96 hour stretch of leisure will begin. I've decided that time spent with my family will always be more about what I make of it than what actually happens, which has given me a whole new perspective on things like Thanksgiving. Consequently, I've set some ground rules for this week:
  • I will spend the time that I'm at home drinking wine, eating free food, and hanging out with my family.
  • I will not drive anywhere. There is no place important enough for me to go that no one else is going to as well (remember the wine).
  • I will not fight with anybody. Not my mom, not my dad, not my sister, not my boyfriend. Any bit of stress or irritation will roll off of me like water on Rain-X. The wine will help with this.
  • The most strenuous thing I will do is knit. And maybe write a paper.

I'm really excited about this little bit of family bonding/mini-vacation. Since my actual level of compatibility with my family has reached a status previosuly unheard of thus far in my life, it'll be very refreshing, I think, to spend four days at my parents' house and not argue with anybody at all. I actually like my family a lot more now that I'm older (not that I didn't always love them, I'm sure you understand), and so I'm feeling very optimistic about spending time with them.

And my plan for coping with the stress of introducing Nick to my extended family, is to just relax. Whatever happens happens, and I have faith that he can handle it. This week is happy time, and nothing's going to mess with that.

0 Old Comments: