Saturday, April 14, 2007

ten days

I'm posting en masse nowadays. Lemme tell you what I've been up to.

Wednesday, April 4th
Pre-birthday partying, I got so drunk I sang karaoke, making up whatever I lacked in vocal ability with booty shaking to the beat of Respect. Sitting on the patio smoking a cigarette, I knew I was in a hipster bar when some 19 year old with too much hair drawled existentially, "All that exists is your dreams...I have dreams." I asked him if one of his dreams was to cut his hair. He wasn't amused.

Thursday, April 5th
The 22nd anniversary of the day I graced the world with my presence. I got $200 worth of clothing storage accessories from my parents and told everyone I was too busy cleaning my closet to go out. It's now the cleanest room in my house.

Friday, April 6th
My grandpa had sent me a $100 Visa gift card, and I resolved to get the most out of it I possibly could. I think I did pretty well:
  • A Burger Kind combo meal
  • A pack of cigarettes
  • An oil change, an answer to why my check engine light was on, and a cute mechanic shamelessly flirting with me thrown in for free
  • Three shirts, a pair of cute brown heels, and new sunglasses
Saturday, April 7h
Anytime I get to stay in a hotel is vacation to me, even if it is only a few miles away, so Nick's birthday present to me was a night at Embassy Suites. We brought champagne and chocolate and got take out for dinner, and basically just enjoyed the opportunity to be slothful. We had a lot of fun.

Sunday and Monday, boring boring boring, except for a delicious italian dinner with my sis and her friends.

Tuesday night I packed my bags and headed down to Nick's, an hour away now, to see him before spending the rest of the week in New Orleans. He's on a bachelor party cruise this weekend, so our routine of spending our weekends together has been interrupted.

I was in New Orleans for the American Association of Suicidology conference all week, turns out my workplace is the rock star of AAS. I learned a lot about how to do my job more effectively and I met this guy. They put us up at the Hilton and we had a lot of fun. On Wednesday, we got done pretty early, so two friends and I headed down to Bourbon for a late-afternoon pick-me-up. Walking down the street with our hand grenades, we made friends with a tattoo artist named Dominic and followed him back to his shop, where we apparently drew quite a bit of attention. Even the old guy in the corner came over to show us his tattoos, mumbling about how everyone still recognizes the picture of his ex-wife, Rose, on his arm. When one of Dominic's co-workers handed Cassie his phone number and told her to call him later so they could take a shower together, we decided it was time to leave.

Walking down Canal Street back to the hotel, we made more friends, this time Dominicans inviting us into their cigar shop. We all bought cigars and sat in big leather chairs smoking them while surrounded by old men in fedora hats. I felt irreverently posh.

Yesterday, Cassie and I skipped the morning sessions to have brunch at a place I just love in the French Quarter, which turned into a midday stroll through Jackson Square and the Riverwalk in the midst of French Quarter Fest, and got way out of hand when we decided to take an afternoon nap. Come dinnertime, we hadn't been to a single session, but we met up with everyone else for dinner and nobody seemed to have noticed much. There was a Tapas bar we wanted to go to down in Marigny, and asked the front desk to look up the address for us so we could direct the cabbie. Several circular routes and twenty dollars in cab fair later, we asked the driver to please just drop us off and we'd find the place ourselves. We found it, and it was awesome. My boss got a little tipsy and started spilling secrets and gossip, that was fun.

Now I'm back in Baton Rouge, hungry and exhausted, but for some reason I'm having a lot of trouble motivating myself to get up off the couch. The sudden realization that I'm graduating in five weeks has inspired an overwhelming sense of slothfulness.

0 Old Comments: