Tuesday, March 13, 2007

on confidence, courage, and change

I got invited to a final interview with Teach for America. I'm, like, totally stoked.

It occurs to me occassionally how much I've grown over the last two years. Back then, I never would have thought myself capable of many of the things I've done since. I don't know where the jolt of self-confidence came from, but somewhere along the line I told myself I could do it, and I did. I'm not sure now what the next two years will hold for me, but no matter what, I think I can take it on. Whether it's teaching inner-city kids or selling my soul to graduate school, I've totally got this. Breaking down, breaking up, moving out, moving up, eating ramen every night and changing lives--my world is going to be turned upside down over the next two years, even if I never leave Louisiana. Maybe someday I'll work up the courage to go live somewhere new, but for now, I can find plenty of challenges right here at home.

"everything changes, nothing perishes"
[omnia mutantur, nihil interit]

-Ovid, Metamorphoses [15.165]

0 Old Comments: