Monday, July 10, 2006

Meme who?

I stole this meme from my favorite wino.

10 years ago...
Ha, I was 11. I was madly in love with Ricky Cetrone for the sixth year in a row, furious about moving out of the house I'd lived in my entire life (to another house a whopping five blocks away), and I was convinced that my glasses were the sole reason I was not the most popular girl in school and the boys weren't falling at my feet. I was an underachiever, I fought with my sister, and I loved to read and write.

5 years ago...
I was sixteen, and I was crazy. As I've mentioned before, I did not like to be told what to do. I got my first car, my second job, broke up with the dorky boyfriend and started dating a drug dealer. I gave my parents hell, and am frequently reminded of the karma I've got coming for me when I have kids. I was still an underachiever, but maintained a careful balance between skipping school to smoke pot, lying to my parents, working, actually doing some homework, and sucking up to my teachers, so that I managed to remain exceptionally responsible financially and somehow maintain a 3.0 GPA and score decently on the ACT. I still fought with my sister, still loved to read and write, and certainly still was not the most popular girl in school, despite my successful campaign to obtain contact lenses.

1 year ago...
I was in love. I was no longer an underachiever, quite the opposite (my logic is that no one was telling me about my unfulfilled potential anymore, and so I felt compelled to excel). I was in AmeriCorps, working 40-60 hours a week for a living allowance of $380 a month and loving it. I thought I had my husband picked out and my life all planned, and I'm so glad I was wrong. I had just moved into an apartment that I loved, and still love, and I was not nearly as happy as I thought I was.

Yesterday...
I met my Grandpa's new wife, more than a year after they married (coincidentally, we're also related by blood, as she was related to my Grandma, which sounds creepy and incestuous, but it's not. It's complicated). My mom said the funniest thing I have ever heard her say, which she would kill me for sharing here. I ate homecooked food and washed dishes so I'd get to take home leftovers (I will always work for food). I talked to two boys on the phone, because I'm a pimp like that. I worked the overnight shift on the crisis hotline, and thankfully it was very quiet.

Today...
I gave a presentation in my Communication Studies class juxtaposing the emotional impact of Eminem's "Mosh" and Alan Jackson's "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)," which was interesting. I typed this post during a pointless lecture in another class, and went to work afterwards. I have a date with Justin the Cheerleader tonight, and will probably spend at least an hour on the phone with Jona the Crush. (amazing how those two guys, they just never go away)

Tomorrow...
I will go to class, go to work, spend a ridiculous amount of time on the internet, and probably go smoke pot with Jona. I'll sit in my room listening to music and fucking around in the blogosphere, thinking about how much I still love my apartment, and wondering how long it will be now until Best Friend Roommate comes home.

In 1 year...
I will have just graduated, I will know where I'll be going to grad school, and I will be preparing to close a chapter in my life, bidding farewell to my beloved/bittersweet home state of Louisiana, my college years, and all the people I've grown to love here in Baton Rouge.

In 5 years...
I'll have my MSW. Ideally, I'll be working for a small nonprofit doing life problems counseling with deinquent youth. I hope to be in love, although marriage is not a necessity at that juncture. Most of all, I hope that I'm able to find happiness in my circumstances.

5 snacks I enjoy...
Tortilla chips and salsa/sour cream/fiesta blend cheese (that's right, all mixed together, folks), canned pears and cottage cheese, canned corn, Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream, Ghirardelli squares (milk chocolate and caramel, in case you're feeling generous. Comment that you want to send me chocolate and I'll most certainly email you my shipping address)

5 songs I know all the words to...
"What I Got" by Sublime
"Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" by Jim Croce
"Boys of Summer" by Don Henley/The Ataris
"Tequila Sunrise" by The Eagles
"Your Love" by The Outfield

5 television shows I watch daily...
I really don't watch five shows daily. I mostly just watch CNN, with the semi-frequent diversion to some dorky documentary channel (Discovery, Court TV, History Channel, etc.) During the season I watch Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy fairly religiously.

5 things I would do with $100,000,000...
Give almost all of it away.
Invest it so I'd have more to give away.
Buy a hybrid.
Buy a house.
Pay for grad school.

5 locations I would love to run away to...
The beach, any beach
Anyplace with a steady supply of Louisiana boiled seafood.
New Orleans, even post-Katrina
Somewhere with somebody who loves me
My parents' house

5 things I like doing...
eating, learning, writing, holding intelligent conversation, giving my time to help others

5 famous people I'd like to meet...
MLK, Clinton, Bill/Melinda Gates, Warren Buffett, Wendy Kopp

5 biggest joys of the moment...
Summer, straight A's, being able to publish my thoughts on the internet, having a job that I love, being eight months out of a relationship I thought I could never live without and being happier than I ever would have thought I could be alone.

0 Old Comments: