Tuesday, January 30, 2007

picture this face on a valtrex commercial

There's a secret that I left off of my little list the other day...

I have had four--count 'em, four--sexual partners in my 21 years. All committed relationships, no one night stands or random hookups. On sexual partner #2, I contracted a sexually transmitted disease.

I'm the kind of girl who has to be taken out to dinner before giving up even a kiss. A girl with standards and big plans, who washes her hair regularly and never goes home with guys she just met. The kind of girl you bring home to your mom. And I have an STD.

This will stay with me all of my life. I take medication every day to reduce my chances of spreading it to others, and I'm honest with potential partners. Believe me, some of them have not been okay with it.

People are usually informed of this on a need-to-know basis, but recent events have led me to think maybe "need-to-know" could be a bit more loosely defined. Think of it as a public service announcement. Be careful who you stigmatize, folks, and wrap yourselves up, STD's aren't just for sluts anymore.

0 Old Comments: